Gardening and Landscaping
Gardening and Landscaping: Volunteering in Ethiopia
Bring your passion and knowledge of gardening and develop your volunteer work in Ethiopia, benefiting the local population!
This project will enable the students to elaborate the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture and develop the value of grow their own vegetables, herbs and fruit. Learn the wide range of features and accessories available in the market for both the professional gardener and the amateur to exercise their creativity. Gardening is considered by many people to be a relaxing activity and in these days, it can be a lucrative activity too. This project can motivate the students to pursue a career as landscape architects and/ or garden designers to produce artistically creative designs for private garden spaces as well as public spaces.
In this project your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Teaching how to prepare the soil and finding the right seeds and plants
- Developing organic gardening
- Working with nature, and creating beautiful surroundings
- Understanding weeds
- Teaching integral life values – most notably, patience.
- Maximizing plants propagation
- Taking advantage of amenity horticulture
- Understanding plant care
- Keeping your plants healthy
- How to make the most of your garden
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is for those who have green fingers and like the garden atmosphere.
Start Dates & Duration
Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts Mondays
You can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of US$ 199.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 18 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
Find here our full program to volunteer in Ethiopia.