Music and Singing
Teach Music and Singing to Young Students in Ethiopia
Get envolved with teaching music and singing as a volunteer, in order give your students a wide range of possibilities to explore their talents and creativity. In many cultures, music is an important part of people’s way of life, as it plays a key role in religious rituals, rite of passage ceremonies, social and cultural activities. Music has touched all over the world since very early times in human history.
Have you ever wondered how singing might affect our health? To some people music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity; something we are all touched by.
In this project your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Technical skill associated with singing such as breath control, intonation, range and interval training
- Teaching harmony and theory classes
- Song-writing and sight-reading lessons
- Improvisation workshops
- Understanding how to read musical notes
- How to play a musical instrument
- Organising a choir
- How to perform on stage
- Preparing a talent show
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody who loves music.
The volunteers would need to bring their own musical instruments.
Start Dates & Duration
Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts MondaysYou can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of US$ 199.00 – only U$ 100 for payments before March 31st – on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 20 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.