Women’s Empowerment in Ethiopia
Women’s Empowerment in Ethiopia
Volunteer on women’s empowerment in Ethiopia with Iko Poran! You will be teaching life-skills and English to the hostel female students, in order to allow for them to grow personally and professionally. While you make it easier for the young women to access qualitiy education, you end up improving their future emplyoment opportunities.
Teaching Life-Skills to Young Women
With this volunteer placement, you will be working in the fields of awareness, counseling and empowerment of the young female students. Since this project will provide sustainable development opportunities to the hostel female students, they consequently will pass what they learned to their colleagues, friends, mothers, grandmothers and other female family members. So the educational and motivational efforts of the women’s empowerment project will spread out to whole families.
Raising the Awareness for Women’s Empowerment
There are regular rallies and marches to help raise awareness among women about their rights & justice. Seminars are organized to raise voices against domestic violence, eve-teasing (cat-calling) & harassment. Counseling surveys can be done to serve the purpose of the programs. There are regular classes to educate these women to make them self-independent. In Ethiopia most of the women bear violence and harassment because of dependence on their husbands and fear for their families. So becoming self-dependent is the first step to stop all violence and harassment.
Some Ways, you can Empower Women In this Project:
- Assisting the instructor in special activities organized for women like sewing, stitching
- Teaching the women general math & English
- Teaching them about culinary hygiene & educating them about women rights
- Helping the students in documentation
- Helping the females in exploring the new ways of earning money & becoming financially independent
- Teaching them about preparing a Hostel Budget
- How to fight shyness and lack of confidence
- Educating them about how to obtain a loan to start their own small ventures
- Built self-confidence and providing emotional support
Women’s Empowerment in Ethiopia: Strengthen the Social Position of Women
While you are working alongside strong and effective women, you will also help in the process of improving the social position of the women. The work with women’s empowerment in Ethiopia is so important because many women are still very much treated as inferior. As a volunteer, you can help raising awareness of the importance of feminism and build self-esteem for girls and women. While working on women’s empowerment in Ethiopia, you will get to explore this beautiful country and the Ethiopia way of life. When you choose to work in this project to empower women, this is your chance to make a positive impact in someone’s life. This project is perfect for anyone who believes in equality.
Start Dates & Duration
Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts MondaysYou can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of US$ 199.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For the women’s empowerment program in Ethiopia you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 18 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
Find here our full program to volunteer in Ethiopia.