Volunteer in Ethiopia – Best and Most Affordable Programs with IKPVA!
Want to work as a volunteer in Ethiopia? We at Iko Poran are dedicated to offer you the best volunteer programs in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. As always, we have quality in mind and grant you a rewarding volunteer experience. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can choose from teaching English to adolescents, wellness coaching, gardening, visual arts, music and more. If you travel on a budget, don’t worry, our fees are among the cheapest. Check it out! After all, in the first week of your stay as a volunteer in Ethiopia, we offer a free week of cultural activities.
Best Programs to Volunteer in Ethiopia at a glance:
Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
Available all year round
Start dates: Every Saturday of the month orientation is Sunday and start at the project on Monday.
Choose from 10 different safe & responsible projects to volunteer in Ethiopia:
Accommodation (bedroom with ensuite bathroom) within a welcoming hostels student familiar environment.
All meals included (Breakfast, Lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopian meals
All programs to volunteer in Ethiopia include a free week of cultural activities on arrival.
Program fee includes: pre-arrival assistance, airport pickup & drop off, orientation, accommodation, all meals, placement, emergency support and donation to local projects.
English, Italian, Spanish and Hungarian speaking project manager
Program fees starting at only $395 for 2 weeks.
Wide range of programs to Volunteer in Ethiopia to match your skills and interests
Want to volunteer in Ethiopia? Iko Poran has an fascinating project in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to match your skills and interests!
Ethiopia is no only Africa’s oldest independent country but also its second largest in terms of population. Apart from a five-year occupation by Mussolini’s Italy in 1935, it has never been colonised.
Since the country is the home of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church – one of the oldest Christian churches, it looks back over a unique cultural heritage. Ethiopia’s monarchy ended only in the coup of 1974.
Throughout the colonial period, Ethiopia served as a symbol of African independence and then became a founder member of the United Nations. Nowadays, many international organzations in Africa have their base in Ethiopia.
Ethiopia has suffered periodic droughts and famines that lead to a long civil conflict in the 20th Century and a border war with Eritrea.
Structural Change: Why your Work as a Volunteer in Ethiopia is so important
Although there is some evidence of manufacturing growth starting to reduce poverty in urban centers at the end of the decade, structural change has been remarkably absent from Ethiopia’s story of progress. The majority of Ethiopian households are still engaged in agriculture and in living in rural areas. Additional drivers of poverty reduction will be needed to end poverty in Ethiopia, particularly those that encourage the structural transformation of Ethiopia’s economy. Policies that encourage further agglomeration through urbanization would help increase poverty reduction. This will in turn require policies that favor the entry and growth of firms, in addition to support to self-employment in non-agricultural activities. Programs targeted to improving the wellbeing of the urban poor will also become increasingly important.
Help Improving the Lives of the People as a Volunteer in Ethiopia!
As a volunteer in Ethiopia with IKPVA iyou will have the opportunity to do your bit to help improve the lives of people living in underprivileged parts of Ethiopian society! See our range of projects to see how you can donate your time, skills and affection to the purpose of helping people less fortunate than yourself.
Volunteer in Ethiopia Teaching at School
As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you will teach the students at the hostels library in Addis Ababa.
The hostel is situated in Sumit, a quiet and safe neighbourhood, 20 minutes drive from Bole International Airport and 5 minutes walk from railway station, public transport and cafés.
The hostels of the EEF program provides accommodation to children from a severely impoverished background. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can offer quality English teaching and / or other school subjects. There are at the moment 50 students in the hostels (22 boys and 28 girls) age between 12 and 18 studying from grade 8 to grade 12. As an educational volunteer in Ethiopia you will teach the students the necessary things that will help them in developing their interpersonal skills. The top-most requirement of the project is to develop the overall personality of the students by encouraging extracurricular activities.
Some of your Tasks as a Volunteer in Ethiopia Teaching the Students:
- Teaching English (Tenses, Grammar, Speaking, Pronunciation, etc)
- Teaching Mathematics (According to the standard of the Students, Class-wise syllabus)
- English Lab & Math Lab & Illustrative Activities of Teaching
- Helping the students in completing the syllabus
- Helping the students in completing their home-work
- Problem-solving sessions with students
- Helping any student that is struggling
- Group-discussion sessions with the students & teachers
- Teaching the students about hazardous effects of tobacco chewing, smoking, intoxication etc.
Gain Real-World Teaching Experience as a Volunteer in Ethiopia
This is an incredible opportunity for you as a volunteer in Ethiopia to gain real-world teaching experience You can work alongside bright enthusiastic young minds, while also getting to experience all the beauty of Ethiopia. This project is particularly well suited for teachers.
Computing and IT – Special Program to Volunteer in Ethiopia
If you choose to volunteer in Ethiopia on computing, you will grant access for your students to a wonderful tool that can be implemented in every aspect of their lives. Asa compunting volunteer in Ethiopia, you will not only train them to use computers like everage consumers, but also train them to understand principles of databases and programming. Finally, you will enable them to even create applications. This project will give the students the practical experience and technical knowledge they need to excel in the computing sector making them to understand internet technologies, usability and systems software.
On your working schedule as a volunteer in Ethiopia with Computing:
- Designing, developing and building hardware and software systems
- Processing, structuring, and managing various kinds of information
- Scientific research on and with computers
- Making computer systems behave intelligently
- Database Principles and Applications
- Creating and using communications and entertainment media
- Ways to use computer on a daily basis
- Communications and Networking
- The Global Business Environment
- Practical problem-solving and program design
Computing Volunteer in Ethiopia
Working as a volunteer in Ethiopia in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is well suited for those who had computing experiences.
Sports Volunteer in Ethiopia
Volunteer in Ethiopia with Iko Poran!
The project operated on special bookings for Sports related volunteering. We select some hostels students, those who are in need of the special training by talented volunteers. There is a lack of professional staff in sports & physical education in the city, so the desired support and guidance is always missing to the students. That’s why community school students don’t pursue sports as career options. There are students who are keen to learn from an international sports person who is trained and can guide them with the techniques and teach them the proper manner, rules and game strategy. As a sports volunteer in Ethiopia, you canteach Football, Athletics, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis, Cricket, Badminton and more to your students.
As a sports volunteer in Ethiopia, you will be working on:
- Identifying the necessary coaching areas
- Teaching rules and regulations of the games
- Daily playing activity with the students in the School/Community Sports Ground
- Helping anyone who may be struggling
- Guiding them on balanced diet & work-plan
- Teaching the proper game techniques
- Helping the learners in future building in the specified games
- Organizing sports competitions and tournaments
Coach Young Talents as a Sports Volunteer in Ethiopia
This is an incredible opportunity to help teach and train young people, while practicing sports that you love getting to experience the real Ethiopian culture. You will love spending your days alongside these passionate young minds. This project is particularly well suited to players, coaches, students, and sports professionals.
Work as a Volunteer in Ethiopia with Construction and Beautification
Volunteer with Iko Poran in Ethiopia!
Work as a volunteer in Ethiopia on construction and help to do some necessary building work. Since the students hostels require maintenance, renovation & beautification work, you voluntary work will be a great contribution. The project aims to maintain the hostels buildings and also to motivate the students to come and join in the construciton project. Finally, the students will enjoy to work on the renovation and benefit from healthy, neat and pleasant environment. In case of decoration, the volunteer will beautify the hostels with wall painting, numbers & other graphical illustrations those will stimulate the students to come and explore them on daily basis. You will be tasked with converting premises into new attractive and exciting areas for the student’s hostel facilities.
As a Construction Volunteer in Ethiopia your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assessing the necessary maintenance & renovation
- Maintenance of the buildings
- Awareness of keeping the building in high standard
- Introduction to Interior Design
- Electrical check
- Plumbing and Drainage check
- Small level construction work
- Boundary wall paintings with motivational slogans
- Making illustrations of World map, etc.
- Bathrooms repair & maintenance
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody willing to work hard or who has a creative touch!
Environmental Volunteer in Ethiopia
As an environmental volunteer in Ethiopia, you will teach the students to understand the fragility of our environment and the importance of its protection. Promoting environmental awareness is an easy way to become an environmental steward and participate in creating a brighter future for our future generation. Learning to be more environmentally friendly is easier than you think. You don’t have to jump in by changing everything, start small to make the changes more sustainable and a part of your normal life.
As an environmental volunteer in Ethiopia, you’ll be working on:
- Evoking the necessity and responsibility of humans to respect, protect, and preserve the natural world
- Making of understanding how the problem would affect them or their lifestyle
- Discussing of the use of hybrid cars, energy-saving appliances, and solar panels
- Explaining the use of print, broadcast, and internet media as a great way to increase education and awareness
- Helping them foster a sense of responsibility and “proactive citizenship”
- Working with local environmental groups to plant more trees and educate others about the positive aspects of it
- As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you will be teaching the importance of saving water – take short showers, fix leaking pipes, keep the running tap close while you brush your teeth, recycle water in the hostels, use water saving appliances, collect rainwater in a rain barrel to water your lawn
- Instruct the 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) waste hierarchy, the order of priority of actions to be taken to reduce the amount of waste generated and to improve overall waste management processes and programs
- Composting, an easy process that takes remains of plants and kitchen waste and converts it into rich nutrient food for your plants that helps them grow
- Educating them to stop littering. The pile of garbage on road hampers the beauty of city and also pollutes the air
Bring forward Environmental Awareness as a Volunteer in Ethiopia
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody who understand the importance of protecting our planet!
Gardening and Landscaping – Special Program to Volunteer in Ethiopia
Bring your passion and knowledge of gardening and develop your work as a volunteer in Ethiopia, benefiting the local population!
This project will enable the students to elaborate the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture and develop the value of grow their own vegetables, herbs and fruit. Learn the wide range of features and accessories available in the market for both the professional gardener and the amateur to exercise their creativity.
Motivate your Students as a Gardening Volunteer
Gardening is considered by many people to be a relaxing activity and in these days, it can be a lucrative activity too. With the gardening project, you as a volunteer in Ethiopia can motivate the students to pursue a career as landscape architects and/ or garden designers to produce artistically creative designs for private garden spaces as well as public spaces.
As a gardening volunteer in Ethiopia your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Teaching how to prepare the soil and finding the right seeds and plants
- Developing organic gardening
- Working with nature, and creating beautiful surroundings
- Understanding weeds
- Teaching integral life values – most notably, patience.
- Maximizing plants propagation
- Taking advantage of amenity horticulture
- Understanding plant care
- Keeping your plants healthy
- How to make the most of your garden
Cultivate Plants with your Students as a Gardening Volunteer in Ethiopia
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is for those who have green fingers and like the garden atmosphere.
Volunteer in Ethiopia on Health & Wellness Coaching
Volunteering on Wellness coaching can be very enjoyable and rewarding!
When you choose to volunteer in Ethiopia as a wellness coach for your students, they soon will understand the benefits of having a healthy lifestyle in accordance with their body, mind and soul. There are several different ways of thinking about health and wellbeing. As a wellness coaching volunteer in Ethiopia, you can help your students to acchieve and maintain both physical fitness and mental stability. This is a positive definition of health and wellbeing.
As a Volunteer Ethiopia on Wellness coaching, your daily work may include:
- Teaching yoga, meditation or any wellbeing techniques
- Developing positive relationships
- Paths to avoid physical and emotional harm
- Encouraging a healthy lifestyle
- Implementing an effective wellbeing strategy
- How to react with other people
- The importance of practice mindfulness for health life
- Ways to deal with bullying, harassment and conflict
- Understanding the significance of equality and diversity in the modern world
- How to handle stress and anxiety
Improve the Living Contitions of the People as aVolunteer Ethiopia
When you choose to work as a Wellness coaching volunteer in Ethiopia, you will help the local people to imporve their health and also to learn about yoga and medidation. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is particularly well suited to medical students or healthcare professionals.
Singing and Musical Instruments – Volunteer in Ethiopia on Musical Education
When you bring your musical talents as a volunteer in Ethiopia, you will both help the students to grow in music and singing, and learn some African rhythms!
As an educational volunteer in Ethiopia with music, you will give the students a wide range of possibilities to explore their talents and creativity. In many cultures, music is an important part of people’s way of life, as it plays a key role in religious rituals, rite of passage ceremonies, social and cultural activities. Music has touched all over the world since very early times in human history. Have you ever wondered how music might affect our health? To some people music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity; something we are all touched by.
As an educational Volunteer in Ethiopia, your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Technical skill associated with singing such as breath control, intonation, range and interval training
- Teaching harmony and theory classes
- Song-writing and sight-reading lessons
- Improvisation workshops
- Understanding how to read musical notes
- How to play a musical instrument
- Organising a choir
- How to perform on stage
- Preparing a talent show
Develop the Musical Talents of your Students as a Volunteer in Ethiopia
When you choose to teach music as volunteer in Ethiopia, you will not only foster the young talents, but also learn about African rhytms. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody who loves music.
The volunteers would need to bring their own musical instruments.
Women’s Empowerment – Special Program to Volunteer in Ethiopia
If you want to stand up for Women’s rights, volunteer in Ethiopia on women empowerment with Iko Poran!
In this project you will be placed with the hostel female students. As a women empowerment volunteer in Ethiopia you’ll be working in the fields of awareness, counseling and empowerment of females. Since you as a volunteer in Ethiopia will help to provide sustainable development opportunities for the female students at the hostel, the young women will consequently pass what they learned to their colleagues, friends, mothers, grandmothers and other female family members. So, your efforts to empower the female students through education and motivation will spread out to the families!
Stand up for Women’s Rights as a Volunteer in Ethiopia!
There are regular rallies and marches to help raise awareness among women about their rights & justice. Seminars are organized to raise voices against domestic violence, eve-teasing (cat-calling) & harassment. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can do counseling surveys in order to serve the purpose of the programs. There are regular classes to educate these women to make them self-independent. In Ethiopia most of the women bear violence and harassment because of dependence on their husbands and fear for their families. So, when they build up their self-esteem with your help as a volunteer in Ethiopia, a first step to stop all violence and harassment is done!
As a Women Empowerment Volunteer in Ethiopia, your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the instructor in special activities organized for women like sewing, stitching
- Teaching the women general math & English
- Teaching them about culinary hygiene & educating them about women rights
- Helping the students in documentation
- Helping the females in exploring the new ways of earning money & becoming financially independent
- Teaching them about preparing a Hostel Budget
- How to fight shyness and lack of confidence
- Educating them about how to obtain a loan to start their own small ventures
- Built self-confidence and providing emotional support
Fantastic Opportunigy to Work as a Volunteer in Ethiopia
This is a fantastic opportunity to work as a volunteer in Ethiopia alongside strong and effective women, helping in the process of improving the social position of the women and raising awareness of the importance of feminism in a country where many women are still very much treated as inferior. At the same time, during your stay as a volunteer in Ethiopia, you will get to explore this beautiful country and the Ethiopia way of life. This is your chance to make an impact in someone’s life. This project is perfect for anyone who believes in equality for women.
Volunteer in Ethiopia on Art & Photography
When you bring your artistic talents as a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can make the school students very happy. They will love to learn painting, sculpture, photography with you. With your volunteer work, you will give students the opportunity to develop their creativity.
This project is a great opportunity for the students on the EEF education program to develop their inner creative skills. Learning about visual arts – painting, sculpture, etc, as well as photography, and being taught to come up with the ideas for a great piece of art work are as important as the art creation itself. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can give the students an opportunity to pursue artistic vision. Whether they want to tell a story, sell a product or just capture the beauty around them, the project will fulfill their creative vision. Art and photography changes the way you see things. It’s actually quite an incredible transformation to experience. Suddenly you notice light, shapes, colours, textures, people, buildings, trees, flowers… Everything looks different around you when you start seeing the world as an artist.
Work as a Volunteer in Ethiopia on Arts and Photography: on you Working Schedule
- Helping the students to discover their creative potential in a stimulating environment
- Discussing practical, creative and critical techniques
- Producing and analysing pieces of art and design
- Developing the student’s senses both creative and analytical
- Difference between media, such as: drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, digital media, printmaking, video and installation
- Allowing the students to express their ideas and develop their full potential.
- Work shop to perform the art they like
- Developing skills in the foundational techniques of photography
- Studying aspect of photography related to their individual interests
- Preparing a prize competition
Help your Students Developing their Creativity as an Arts Volunteer in Ethiopia
By working on this visual arts project, you can pave the way for your students to learn about the visual arts. With you they will both develop their own creativity and learn the techniques of photography, drawing and sculpture. As an educational volunteer in Ethiopia, you will empower students technically and artistically, and thus improve their chances of growing into a future profession. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project to work as a volunteer in Ethiopia is perfect for anybody willing to explore the whole range of creativity!
For photography, volunteers would need to bring their own equipments.
Highly Affordable Fees to Volunteer in Ethiopia
Cost for projects in Addis Ababa
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of US$ 199.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making your trip to volunteer in Ethiopia more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Volunteer in Ethiopia – Project Details
Location – Addis Ababa
As a volunteer in Ethiopia with Iko Poran, you will be living in the city of Addis Ababa. Since its establishment in the 19th century, Addis Ababa (አዲስአበባ) has always seemed like a magical portal, a gateway to another world. For the rural masses of Ethiopia it was, and is, a city whose streets are paved in gold. However, for you as a volunteer in Ethiopia, the gateway of Addis Ababa is at the verge of an ancient and mystical world.
Volunteer in Ethiopa in Africa’s fourth largest city
And yet, Addis – Africa’s fourth-largest city and its diplomatic capital – is also a traffic-choked, sprawling city of no discernible beauty that many foreign visitors try to transit as quickly as possible. But take note: when you choose to skip out on the contradictions of this complex city you run the risk of failing to understand Ethiopia altogether. And apart from anything else, Addis is the best place in the country to sample Ethiopian food and has some wonderful museums and places to stay. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you can visit some of the tourist destinations during your free time:
- Mercato, the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa
- Holy Trinity Cathedral
- National Museum of Ethiopia
- Entoto Hill
- St George’s Cathedral
- Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum
Eating out in Addis Ababa: Enjoy your free time as a volunteer in Ethiopia
During your stay as a volunteer in Ethiopia, you will visit so many interesting places in Addis Ababa. You also will have the opportunity to try Ethiopian memorable cuisine whose signature spongey bread, injera, is used in lieu of silverware for mopping up various spiced-up stews. When you walk around in the city, you will find a comprehensive taste of the city’s edible offerings. The culinary options range from a typical juice shop to a vegetarian restaurant or a meat or fried-fish place, depending on the day of the week. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you’ll even learn about the coffee ceremony! Along the way, you’ll receive priceless insights into local culture and culinary customs.
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our programs to volunteer in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time as a volunteer in Ethiopia!
Start Dates & Duration
Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work as a volunteer in Ethiopia at the project starts on Mondays.
You can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Arrival & Orientation
As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you should organize to arrive in Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Airport pick-up and drop-off is included in your program fee. You will be met by a representative in arrivals.
Orientation takes place on your first day and will cover:
- About Ethiopia
- About your program & other projects
- Additional options such as excursions and learning programs
- Project extension
- Cultural responsibility
- Basics of Amharic (the official language of Ethiopia)
- Code of conducts
- Project visit
Requirements to volunteer in Ethiopia
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 18 years old at the start of your placement. As a volunteer in Ethiopia, you must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.