Computing and IT
Volunteer on Computing and IT in Ethiopia
If you choose to volunteer on computing in Ethiopia, you will grant access for your students to a wonderful tool, that can be implemented in every aspect of their lives. You will not only train them to use computers like average consumers, but also train them to understand principles of databases and programming. Finally, you will enable them to even create applications.
Your students will learn to use the computer on a daily basis
Of course, you also will teach your students to use computers on a daily basis, like writing texts and emails, using the internet for research and learn to communicate with computers.
Another aspect of your volunteer work will include designing and developing software and hardware systems.
This project will give the students the practical experience and technical knowledge they need to excel in the computing sector. With your volunteer work, you can help them understanding both internet technologies and also how to use application and systems software.
In this project your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Designing, developing and building hardware and software systems
- Processing, structuring, and managing various kinds of information
- Scientific research on and with computers
- Making computer systems behave intelligently
- Database Principles and Applications
- Creating and using communications and entertainment media
- Ways to use computer on a daily basis
- Communications and Networking
- The Global Business Environment
- Practical problem-solving and program design
Working as a volunteer with computer science, you can empower your students in computing and even programming. After all, you end up increasing the chances of the students’ career and generally improving the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is well suited for those who had computing experiences.
Start Dates & Duration
- Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
- Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts Mondays.
- You can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks.
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of U$ 149.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- Breakfast & dinner – Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 20 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
Find here our full program to volunteer in Ethiopia.
As a volunteer you can also teach English in Ethiopia, at the school in Addis Ababa.
For medical students or therapeuts into health volunteering, we recommend our wellness coaching program.