Construction in Ethiopia
Construction Volunteer Work in Ethiopia at the Student’s Hostel in Addis Ababa
Work as a construction volunteer in Ethiopia in order to do some necessary renovation work. Since the student’s hostels require maintenance, renovation & beautification work, you voluntary work will be a great contribution! The project aims to maintain the hostels buildings and also to motivate the students to come and join in the construction project. Finally, the students will enjoy to work on the renovation and benefit from healthy, neat and pleasant environment.
Bring your creativity and convert the premises’ decoration into an inspiring learning environment
You can also contribute with your creativity and decorate the hostels interior. With beautiful wall paintings, creative number plates and other graphical illustrations, you can create an inspiring learning environment for the students. The students will love to see the art work and also will be stimulated with their own creativity.
Finally, you will start to convert the premises into new attractive and exciting areas for the student’s hostel facilities.
As a volunteer on construction in Ethiopia, you’ll be working on:
- Assessing the necessary maintenance & renovation
- Maintenance of the buildings
- Awareness of keeping the building in high standard
- Introduction to Interior Design
- Electrical check
- Plumbing and Drainage check
- Small level construction work
- Boundary wall paintings with motivational slogans
- Making illustrations of World map, etc.
- Bathrooms repair & maintenance
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody willing to work hard or who has a creative touch!
Start Dates & Duration
- Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
- Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts Mondays
- You can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of U$ 149.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- Breakfast & dinner – Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 20 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
You can choose from responsible and authentic volunteer projects in Ethiopia, all designed to give boarding students skills and knowledge for their future careers. No matter what your specific knowledge or hobbies are, there is something for everyone!
As a volunteer teacher, you can teach your skills to the students in Addis Ababa. In addition to teaching English, you can also familiarize students with photography, fine art or music and singing. Moreover, you can practice yoga with the students in Ethiopia, do a wellness coaching or create an organic vegetable garden and educate students about environmental awareness.
There are also a few sports talents in the school who are looking forward to being trained with a volunteer sports teacher!
With your volunteer work as an assistant teacher you contribute a lot to the future of talented students in the school!
Construction Projects in other Countries
Visit our page with all our construction volunteer opportunities!
On our home page, you’ll find the complete overview about all volunteer abroad programs.