Environmental Awareness: Volunteer Work in Ethiopia
Work as a volunteer in Ethiopia in order to further environmental awareness among the students at school. You can explain the students, why our environment is so fragile. Each of the students will start to understands, how huma activty is impactin nature. Finally, the class will embrace new ideas of how to protect nature, and why this is so important.
Discover together with the students, how to protect nature
During your volunteer work, you can promote environmental awareness, and even becom an environmental steward. Together with you, the students at the hostel will discover that preserving nature is crucial for their future in Ethiopia. You may also have a look at the gardening project, which can complement the environmental project with practical experiences in the garden.
Learning to be more environmentally friendly is easier than you think. You don’t have to jump in by changing everything, start small to make the changes more sustainable and a part of your normal life.
As an environmental volunteer in Ethiopia, you’ll be working on:
- Evoking the necessity and responsibility of humans to respect, protect, and preserve the natural world
- Making of understanding how the problem would affect them or their lifestyle
- Discussing of the use of hybrid cars, energy-saving appliances, and solar panels
- Explaining the use of print, broadcast, and internet media as a great way to increase education and awareness
- Helping them foster a sense of responsibility and “proactive citizenship”
- Working with local environmental groups to plant more trees and educate others about the positive aspects of it
- Teaching the importance of saving water – take short showers, fix leaking pipes, keep the running tap close while you brush your teeth, recycle water in the hostels, use water saving appliances, collect rainwater in a rain barrel to water your lawn
- Instruct the 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) waste hierarchy, the order of priority of actions to be taken to reduce the amount of waste generated and to improve overall waste management processes and programs
- Composting, an easy process that takes remains of plants and kitchen waste and converts it into rich nutrient food for your plants that helps them grow
- Educating them to stop littering. The pile of garbage on road hampers the beauty of city and also pollutes the air
Working in this project you will get to leave your mark and improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. At the same time, you will get to explore this fascinating country and witness the Ethiopia way of life. This project is perfect for anybody who understand the importance of protecting our planet!
Start Dates & Duration
Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts MondaysYou can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of US$ 199.00 – only U$ 100 for payments before March 31st – on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 20 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
Find here our full program to volunteer in Ethiopia.
More Environmental Volunteer Programs
Visit our page with ecological volunteer programs in several countries. There are many ways you can help, be it a reforestation project in Ecuador, preserving the rainforest in Rio de Janeiro or protecting biodiversity in Uganda.