Gardening and Landscaping
Gardening and Landscaping: Volunteering in Ethiopia
Bring your passion and knowledge of gardening in order to develop your volunteer work in Ethiopia. Your volunteer work will both benefit the students in Addis Ababa, who can learn from you, and also the local population!
During the volunteer project, you will show the students at school how to grow their own vegetables. So, they will gain a deeper understanding of horticulture. Also, the students will understand the enormous value of their own, naturally grown fruits and vegetables.
Growing Plants: Understanding Nature and time to Relax for the students
Gardening is considered by many people to be a relaxing activity and in these days, it can be a lucrative activity too. This project can motivate the students to pursue a career as landscape architects and/ or garden designers to produce artistically creative designs for private garden spaces as well as public spaces.
In this project your duties may include, but not limited to:
- Teaching how to prepare the soil and finding the right seeds and plants
- Developing organic gardening
- Working with nature, and creating beautiful surroundings
- Understanding weeds
- Teaching integral life values – most notably, patience.
- Maximizing plants propagation
- Taking advantage of amenity horticulture
- Understanding plant care
- Keeping your plants healthy
- How to make the most of your garden
To sensitize pupils for gardening and landscape design
In the horticultural project you have the opportunity to sensitize the students of the high school for organic horticulture. The students will not only learn to understand nature better, but also how to make the schoolyard more beautiful with plants.
The work in the garden also gives the students the opportunity to observe nature more closely and, of course, to be patient.
You may even consider combining the practical gardening project with environmental awareness.
Moreover, the newly acquired knowledge of students can help to improve the living conditions of people in some of the poorest areas of the city. During the gardening project you will also get to know the fascinating country. While working at the school in Addis Ababa, you’ll gain insights into the way of life of the Ethiopians.
So if you have a “green thumb” and love working in the garden, it’s a great way to bring nature closer to students.
Start Dates & Duration
- Location: Addis Ababa (New Flower), Ethiopia
- Arrival Airport: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
- Available all year round
- Every Saturday of the month, orientation takes place Sundays and work at the project starts Mondays
- You can choose to volunteer from 2 to 24 weeks
Fees and what is included with the volunteer program
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of U$ 149.00 on top of the program fee.
Bedroom with ensuite bathroom (breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Free Week of Cultural Activities
What’s included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Pre-arrival assistance
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Orientation about project, country and rules
- Accommodation (double bedroom with ensuite bathroom) on the top floor of the student’s hostel
- Breakfast & dinner – Authentic Ethiopia meals
- English speaking project manager on project to assist. Italian, Spanish and Hungarian also spoken
- Emergency assistance (if required)
- Travel support in Ethiopia
- Certificate of Volunteering
- Cultural week activities!
- Traditional coffee ceremony
- Visit to Mercato (the biggest open-air marketplace in Africa)
- Cultural visits to Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Traditional Ethiopian dance
- National Museum of Ethiopia, where it is possible to see “Lucy“, the most famous fossilized remains of early hominids.
What’s NOT included in the volunteer in Ethiopia program fee?
- Project transportation
- All Personal expenses
- Medical on related expenses (full private medical cover highly recommended)
There are no hidden costs. Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Program cancellation policy
Before arrival in Ethiopia:
- Cancellation before15 days- No refunds
- Cancellation before 30 days- 50% refunds
- Cancellation before a month- 75% refund
Accommodation & Meals
For all of our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia programs you have an accommodation for throughout the period of your stay. A bedroom (with ensuite bathroom) living alongside our students in our hostel within a welcoming and familiar environment.
Full details of the accommodation are available in out Pre-Departure Guide.
Both are great options and we’re sure you will have a fantastic time!
Volunteers work 4 to 6 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
You must be at least 20 years old at the start of your placement. All volunteers must have adequate volunteer travel insurance.
More Volunteer Opportunities in Ethiopia
Find here our full program to volunteer in Ethiopia.
Assistant Teachers at the school can also give insights about environmental awareness.