Volunteer with the Vervet Monkeys
Vervet Monkey Volunteering in South Africa: Wildlife Volunteering with IKPVA
Rescue orphaned Vervet Monkeys: Make part of the vervet monkeys animal conservation volunteer program in South Africa. Therfore, we need help with the integration of the foster moms of 23 little orphans back into the troops.
Give a Loving Home to Orphaned Vervet Monkeys from other places
Join the family at this amazing primate sanctuary in South Africa. At this special initiative, orphaned primates come from near and far and are given a loving home where they are rehabilitated and cared for until they can be released back into the wild.
With over 500 cheeky monkeys in care at any one time, this sanctuary always needs an extra pair of helping hands. Your participation will help to ensure they are all well fed, cared for and loved; and will help raise funds to maintain the place up to scratch for its gorgeous guests.
Care for Orphaned Vervet Monkeys in South Africa
This is an incredible option for those who go bananas for animals as you will get the chance to work hands on the vervet monkeys, under the guidance of experienced professionals. At other occasions, you will be helping to carry out all the back-stage tasks which really ensure the monkeys’ wellbeing.
At the same time you will get to experience the amazing wildlife in the African bush, and make friends you will remember forever – some furry and some a little less so.
Highlights for Volunteers working with the Monkeys
- You must be 18+ years old.
- Working and living with Vervet Monkeys.
- Enjoying the bush life of South Africa
- Meeting amazing people from all over the world.
Location, Start Dates & Arrival
- Location of project: Near Tzaneen, 6 hours drive from Johannesburg.
- Arrival Airport: Johannesburg (airport code JNB)
- Available from 2 to 8 weeks
- The program fee is paid directly to the host organization.
- All of the projects incur a registration fee of U$ 149.00 on top of the program fee.
What is included in the volunteer program fee?
- Airport Pickup
- Accommodation for all projects
- Meals are included in most programs (please check the description of your chosen project)
- Support from local staff & Program supervision
- In-country 24/7 support throughout your stay
- In-country administration costs
- Donation to support the local project
There are no hidden costs. Most of these projects are the most affordable to volunteer in South Africa.
Iko Poran is an NGO based in a developing country. We are dedicated to helping you help others, at the lowest possible price. We are interested in making volunteering abroad more accessible so that more people can help do really important work.
Participants in our South Africa programs normally find US$100 to be sufficient for weekly expenses in the country.
The program fee should be paid to the host country and it is due 30 days before the project start date.
Accommodation & Meals
- Shared wooden cabins at the park.
- Food: All meals included (vegan food only – prepared by an African maid trained by a professional chef).
- The food has had excellent reviews from non-vegans and vegans alike.
Qualifications & Requirements
- You must have a Tuberculosis (TB) test, or a free letter from a medical professional to state that you don’t have it – This is really important as it if for the safety of the animals.
- All participants in our volunteer in South Africa programs must have adequate travel insurance and are required to provide a criminal background check to local staff on arrival in South Africa or during orientation,
- You must be willing to get your hands dirty and really give your all. You will be required to help with a broad variety of tasks from observation & research, to the construction of new enclosures, maintenance, or eradicating invader plant species.
- You must be passionate about primates and love animals, you must be committed to taking care of them.
“I’m having a wonderful time here and there is nothing that I don’t like.” Gijs van Suijlichem in our South African program
More South Africa Volunteer Programs
Find out about all the opportunities for wildlife volunteering in South Africa here.
If you enjoy caring for animals, check out the project for rehabilitating wounded or orphaned wildlife in Port Elizabeth.
Veterinary students can go for the veterinary science internship, with wildlife of the African Bush.